Sunday, September 20, 2009

Where Do You Live?


I saw this T-Shirt on an old man at Cracker Barrel as I was eating breakfast this morning with my family. Obviously, I had to approach him and ask him if I could take a picture of his shirt. At first glance, I thought it was one of the funniest T-Shirts I’d ever seen. My kids think I am so weird when I do stuff like this. They are probably dead on ;) I could’ve taken the picture without him knowing but I thought that would have been rude. They looked like a fun group so I humored him by telling him how much I liked his shirt. When I asked him if I could take a picture, he told me that he thought I was coming up to him to complain about it like everyone else has done. Seriously? He said I was the first person to tell him I liked the shirt. Everyone else had told him how inappropriate it was and that it was offensive. You have to be kidding me? Offensive? Inappropriate? That’s funny. People need to loosen up a little bit.

As I thought a little more about this silly little T-Shirt, I thought about how these street signs could represent where a lot of people you know live. You might even live at one of these streets?

Where do you live? Bite Me Blvd? To me this is a place where people don’t worry what others think about them. They are very secure in who they are and aren’t afraid to just be themselves. They don’t actually go around saying bite me, but this is there attitude. What about you? Are you so concerned with what everyone thinks about you? Be honest. I have to admit, there has been a time in my life when I tried to please people and got significance from how others viewed me. For some of us, this is how we were wired. It’s a natural thing to want the approval of others. But, I’ve learned in my old age how that’s not so important. It’s not who you are to others, it’s who you are to yourself and your closest family and friends.

Maybe you live at No Frickin’ Way. This is hilarious! I bet this is a great place to live. I imagine this is a neighborhood that prides itself on the marvel of wonder. Do you find yourself saying, “No Way” or “Really” often or are you always negative. Or do you doubt everything and everybody? Do you trust people? I for one believe that trust is critical when it comes to happiness. A life of distrust is a miserable place to live. Having children has taught me the idea of wonder. It’s a beautiful thing. Do you have dreams? Do you set goals for yourself? Do you imagine or marvel in wonder?

Where do you live? I know some of you are thinking that this is silly and you might not get it. I thought the shirt was cool, funny. Maybe? Maybe to some of you, maybe not. Think about where you live. Do you need to move?

8 comments:

  1. Lately I've been living on "Life in the Fast Lane" and loving every minute of it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, love your blog-keep it up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is funny Shannon. Maybe you could make a T-Shirt? Hey, sounds like a good place to live too! Thanks for commenting. It is always good to get traffic on your blog. It makes me motivated to write a little more. I think some other people read it, but they son't comment. WTH? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Frickin’ Way... that is my pick.

    Freaking funny... some people take things to serious.

    As for kids.. I take every chance I get to be "uncool"... like break dancing. I am currently trying to bring it back :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Blog Robin! You are logging some serious miles these days. Good for you. I'd pick "No Frickin' Way" too. That was a funny shirt. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CHARLES!!! This IS hilarious! I don't think I'd ever actually wear the tee, but the sentiment behind it? Well, it makes me smile. I'm not sure what my current shirt would say ("life in the fast lane" ALWAYS the case with children!) but I'm thankful it definitely wouldn't say "Boulevard of Broken Dreams".

    Good for you for embarrassing your kids by taking pictures of strangers. I try to do it on a regular basis ;).

    Robin ~ PENSIEVE
    www.pensieve.me

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time visitor (via Robin via Twitter...lol)

    Very good post! I think I live on It's My Way or the High Way (I kinda like to control things...:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Trina, thanks for stopping by. Alabama girl or a transplant :) I grew up near Auburn! Thanks for commenting. I'll be sure to check out your blog when I get a spare second. They are hard to come by these days.

    ReplyDelete