Saturday, June 13, 2009

JUST RIDE

I finally broke out of my slump this morning with an awesome ride. I met my friend who's training for IM Florida at 5:15am and we were off. I have forgotten how beautiful it is to ride this time of the day. The traffic is low, the heat and humidity had not yet crept in and there was no wind. Another good thing about right now is that the sun comes up way early so you get more daylight.

This morning was fun! I had no reason to ride except the fact that I love doing it. Unlike my friend who is knee-deep in his rather intense training schedule, I just rode. Don't get me wrong, his endurance is alot better than mine right now simply because of volume, and lack of on my part, but I loved it. I felt good physically but I really felt good mentally. After WSSC, I felt energized to start logging more miles and that's just what I'm doing. I will say that the timing is a little because my family is out on summer break and things have settled down. No more baseball and softball, but, I made a decision to make time to ride no matter what.

So there, I am going to "Just Ride". No training schedules. No set training sessions, no nothing. Just me and my bike! Don't get me wrong, there is a place for strict training and stuff and I've done that, but I have decided just to do recreational rides this season. My friends from Miami are coming up to Nashville to do the "Jack and Back" MS 150. That is the extent of events I'll be training for this summer. So, get on your bike and ride. If you are like me and love riding, don't let anything stand in the way of you doing this. It doesn't even have to be cycling, if there is something you really want to do, do it. What's stopping you? More on this later.

2 comments:

  1. Glad I got to "ride" with you in Miami. I'm in the same boat as you, just running/riding for the pure joy of it. :)

    WSSC 2010?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here Shannon. Just got done with a club ride. Good times. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to hang with the lead group after not riding much at all in 4 months. Spinning really does translate to the road. I don't care what anyone says;) We averaged about 20mph with a few little hills for 32 miles. Good fun. I was even able to inflict a little pain myself. Have fun just running/riding!

    ReplyDelete